Thursday, December 1, 2011

day 108 - Bible in a year

1SAMUEL 26:1-27:7, 1CHRONICLES 12:1-7, 1SAMUEL 27:8-29:11, 1CHRONICLES 12:19, PSALM 56

  • footnote:1 Samuel 27:10 How could David be "a man after His [God's] own heart" (I Sam. 13:14) and lie and deceive like that? God hates lying (Prov. 12:22), and those who deal in falsehood and deception are to be excluded from heaven (Rev. 22:15). The truth is that David had gone through such a long period of persecution and threatening circumstances that he had fallen into a bit of mistrust of God Himself. God had sworn to make him king, to rid him of his enemies, to give him a sure house; yet here he was in a panic, concluding that God had forsaken him and that if he was to remain alive he must manage it himself. It was very dishonoring to God. But God was standing by His stricken child, waiting for the moment when he would realize his own utter helplessness and turn in blessed surrender to the almighty arms of Him who had been watching over him all along. That time came at Ziklag, when, in the bitterest hour of his life, we are told, "But David encouraged and strengthened himself in the Lord his God" (I Sam. 30:6), truly "a man after God's own heart."
  • Psalm 56: 3What time I am afraid, I will have confidence in and put my trust and reliance in You.
  • 4By [the help of] God I will praise His word; on God I lean, rely, and confidently put my trust; I will not fear. What can man, who is flesh, do to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment