Thursday, November 29, 2012

don't judge a pumpkin by it's shell...

This past October (2 months ago already?!) my sister-in-law & mother-in-law bought me a 'blue' pumpkin. It was more of a grayish tint and on the larger side as far as pumpkins go. They told me it was supposed to be a sweet variety. While cutting it up into chunks to cook it in the oven, I discovered the 'flesh' was pretty thick - about 2 to 3 inches.

Hmmm....in my limited knowledge of pumpkin the bigger it is = less sweet.

But I cooked it up anyway, and was SO glad I did. By far the sweetest tasting pumpkin we have ever come by! I was eating it by the spoonful as it was cooling off. My 6 month old son really enjoys it as well. One night we added some coconut milk with a little salt & pepper, heated it all up, and it was a lovely soup. Great as a coconut/pumpkin drink as well, cold or hot. Also great as a smoothie. Or in pumpkin pie. Or in pumpkin oatmeal muffins. Or as pumpkin bread. :) Yup, I've done a lot with my 'blue' pumpkin, and I am very much hoping to grow at least one this next year. I think I've been converted. :)

Coconut Pumpkin Soup

  • Add equal parts pumpkin puree & coconut milk to sauce pan
  • Add salt & pepper to taste
  • Heat slowly
  • Enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment