Monday, January 28, 2013

so few #2 diapers in eight months...

With baby #2 we have been doing something different in the realms of diapering. I wanted to give cloth diapers a try (NEVER thought I'd say that) and while researching them came across a type of baby pottying called by many in the western world 'EC' or 'elimination communication'. (yes, it rhymes).

It basically consists of offering the potty when your baby needs to go. When I first came across the idea, I thought it was ridiculous. But I read more about it, and decided it was worth a try. I decided to try it for a day when mister t was around 2 months old - in less than 12 hours he was peeing in the toilet. Astounding to say the least.

So my husband and I have continued this journey. To date mister t uses the potty about 70% of the time, and I'd say about 90% of his #2's go in the toilet. This has been awesome - since we are using cloth diaper & wipes it means less clean up and less laundry. All of it means less money going...well...down the toilet. :) The current challenge is night time, he used to get up and fuss a bit while we took him potty, but as of lately he wants nothing to do with the potty at night. Guess we'll give it a break. But I have noticed him having more control over his pottying, and sometimes I think is just trying to tell us he doesn't have to go. Either way, I don't think I'll ever not do EC again. It seems so natural now, and I like that my baby doesn't have to sit in his own waste if we doesn't want to. We just got new potty seat for him - so far he likes them. He smiled & laughed each time he used them today. And daddy likes that the pee actually goes where it should (instead of  everywhere else - it's hard to aim an eight month old while holding them over the potty.) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment