Wednesday, September 7, 2011

day 23 - Bible in a year

today's reading: JOB 15:1-18:21

take-aways:

  • Job 16:  9[[a]My adversary Satan] has torn [me] in his wrath and hated and persecuted me; he has gnashed upon me with his teeth; my adversary sharpens his eyes against me. 10[The forces of evil] have gaped at me with their mouths; they have struck me upon the cheek insolently; they massed themselves together and conspired unanimously against me. 11God has delivered me to the ungodly (to the evil one) and cast me [headlong] into the hands of the wicked (Satan's host). 12I was living at ease, but [Satan] crushed me and broke me apart; yes, he seized me by the neck and dashed me in pieces; then he set me up for his target. 13[Satan's] arrows whiz around me. He slashes open my vitals and does not spare; he pours out my gall on the ground.14[Satan] stabs me, making breach after breach and attacking again and again; he runs at me like a giant and irresistible warrior.
  • footnote to above text: Job 16:9 The next six verses leave the casual reader at a loss to know of whom Job is speaking--of God, of Eliphaz, or of Satan, each of whom has been the choice of various translators and commentators. But careful study of the text itself, particularly the eleventh verse, seems to leave no question that while Job is blaming God for abandoning him to Satanic forces, nevertheless the monstrous, appalling, and disgusting behavior which Job describes is by him being attributed to Satan himself. Verse eleven in any translation seems to reveal what the reader has known all along but which Job only now sees. He still does not understand God's motive, but he is facing the facts as they are: he is at the mercy of Satan! But God's thrilling and rewarding motive is still unknown to him

No comments:

Post a Comment