Saturday, June 4, 2022

May I not limit God


I have been pondering the way in which God works lately. With our current living situation, we are paying much more than the recommended 30% of your income on housing. While we were in search of housing, it was pretty clear that God had this housing situation for us. Lately I easily transition into 'let's fix this now' mode, where I begin to think we need to be making a bigger income or we need to be painstakingly searching for cheaper housing.

While it's more than the recommended amount to be spent on housing, we're able to afford it. It doesn't do any favors for our budget, but we're still able to live within our means each month. So why do I get into these 'we're doing something wrong' mode? I think it's because I do believe the advice is wisdom. I would like to be spending less on housing each month, and giving more. And spending more on my children. And be more generous. But maybe my idea of where the extra money would go isn't best. And while 30% is good advice, and we can strive to model our finances in that direction, God is bigger and wiser than all the advice, and I want what He wants, even if it doesn't make sense to me.

As I've been seeking God in this matter of my heart, He's shone His light on stories from scripture for me to mull over. Like when Jesus used mud to help a blind man see. That's not the way anyone has ever tried to correct vision, yet when Jesus did it, it worked. Or Namaan in the Old Testament. He was told to wash in a dirty river, and Elisha the prophet didn't even talk to his face, he sent it through a messenger. Not what was expected, and Namaan almost missed the blessing because it didn't look like he thought it should. 

 "Sometimes we are limiting our lives because we base it on our limiting experience. We often forget that we serve God with whom all things are possible." (Nadler, 2010, p67)

Lord, may I not limit what You are doing because it's different from my experience. Help me not miss Your blessings, for me and others, because of a need for it all to 'make sense'. I want to be willing to do what You ask, even when it looks unexpected to me. May I continue to become comfortable with being uncomfortable.

17 Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ 18 You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. 19 And if you forget the Lord your God and go after other gods and serve them and worship them, I solemnly warn you today that you shall surely perish. 20 Like the nations that the Lord makes to perish before you, so shall you perish, because you would not obey the voice of the Lord your God, (Deuteronomy 8:17-20). 


https://soundmindinvesting.com/articles/view/gods-will-for-your-finances

https://seedtime.com/jesus-money/


"Biblical faith is based on the truth, the facts about God; spiritual experience is to be a result of that faith not the cause of that faith." (Nadler, 2010, p70)






Reference: Nadler, S (2010). Messiah in The Feasts of Israel. Word of Messiah Ministries.

No comments:

Post a Comment