Saturday, October 6, 2012

lettuce wraps for dinner...

I tried something new (to us) tonight & it was a HUGE success! I must give due credit to Lynn at Lynn's Kitchen Adventures for the idea. I tweaked her version a bit, based on what I had on hand & an online search for lettuce wraps. Here's what I ended up with (all quantities are estimates, as I just added things directly to the pan - yea, was feeling it tonight in the kitchen) ;)


  • 1-1/2 lbs ground turkey (or any meat)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 2 teaspoons honey, plus some to taste
  • 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • about 1/2 teaspoon chili powder 
  • about 1/4 teaspoon chipotle
  • about a teaspoon or so of ketchup
  • 1 green bell pepper sliced, plus small orange & small red sweet peppers chopped 
  • romaine lettuce leaves, or other type of lettuce
  1. In a pan cook meat until almost completely cooked through.
  2. Add in remaining ingredients and continuing cooking until done.
  3. Serve with romaine leaves and enjoy!
I was not sure how it would go over - my husband is more of a 'meat & potatoes' guy. Also I have sometimes been accused erring on the bland side of things - I fear too much spice so I don't put enough in. (I figure you can always add more, but can't go back). With those two things against a meal like this, I was prepared for: myself to eat it, my husband to reach for the salt & pepper, & my daughter to endure some of it. Boy was I wrong - yay me!! I truly enjoyed this dinner, my husband did not add any salt or pepper (rare around here) & my daughter ate heapfuls of it! Score one for happy family dinner you get to eat with your hands. This recipe is going to be added into the monthly rotation for sure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment